The key concern of Tobacco Control is always to supply a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which can be more likely to further the objectives of the comprehensive tobacco control policy. In papers submitted for review the introduction should suggest why the study reported or problems discussed are very important when it comes to managing tobacco use, therefore the discussion part includes an analysis of the way the research reported plays a role in tobacco control goals.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Whilst the log seeks to attain a readership that is international writers must look into whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, that are probably be of great interest to scientists involved in other countries. Extremely parochial dilemmas, that have few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to be provided with priority that is high. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking maybe maybe not offer priority that is high:
- Studies of smoking cigarettes prevalence and its particular correlates. They are most suitable to nationwide journals. Few people residing outside a national nation have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific population teams or health care professionals. Once again, they are better suited to national journals or even wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals far away could be thinking about (for instance) whether nurses in a local medical center are thinking about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and people using such studies into initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no importance that is obvious changing policy or training in tobacco control. They often show methodological finery, but take us anywhere don’t crucial or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the viewpoints are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for crucial issues that are ethical favour of sloganeering pay for research paper.
- Documents that show the writers have not exposed Tobacco Control and don’t understand its main concentrate on tobacco control as opposed to on tobacco and its particular usage and wellness effects. We have been thinking about such documents, but as long as their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological issues.
- Documents on topics that need highly technical or discipline-specific language unlikely to be comprehended by the almost all visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little information that is new.
- Neighborhood studies in which the implications for the journal’s international audience are confusing.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood wellness authorities that somebody thought might be offered a fast make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres to your greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on publication ethics, medical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To see all BMJ Journal policies please relate to the BMJ Author Hub policies web web page.
Articles are posted under a special licence or non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. The terms are as stated in accordance with our licence terms for US Federal Government officers or employees acting as part of their official duties. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles could be reused underneath the regards to the appropriate innovative Commons licence to facilitate reuse regarding the content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will maybe not start thinking about for book documents work that is reporting, in entire or in component, with a tobacco company or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by writers whom accept tobacco industry money, including money for research costs, for several or element of any author’s income, or any other kinds of individual remuneration. For more information, please look at this editorial providing the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection associated with paper. If your contending interest comes to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue a formal modification to or retraction of this whole paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is ready to start thinking about documents based wholly or perhaps in component on product previously posted on line. Nonetheless writers should think about an editorial about this topic: Prior book on line: brand new log policy. The editor retains the customary straight to make modifications however you like of course essential to reduce, with all the approval of this author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or material that is illustrative happens to be posted somewhere else must certanly be duly recognized and followed closely by the penned consent regarding the copyright owner (this might be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances where a paper’s findings have actually straight away policy that is relevant warranting urgent book, manuscripts could be fast tracked in front of the normal queue of documents. If you feel which you have actually good explanations why this might be real for the paper, please information these in a resume cover letter, describing the necessity of your projects for the industry while the explanation you’re feeling its of enough value to be managed urgently. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a couple of documents per year will soon be expedited about this foundation, nonetheless it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value when you look at the context that is current.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on e cigarettes should utilize the term cigarettes that are‘electronic on very very very first usage, and after that the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be utilized. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue using the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very first usage.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers also needs to add a split manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the difference through the past version. The tracked modifications document should always be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for conformity into the following reporting instructions. Please upload the appropriate completed list for the research kind along with your submission, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed trials
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for several diagnostic research papers
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for several quality enhancement studies
Guidance and types can be found from EQUATOR.
We video that is welcome to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to physically talk through their work beyond the restrictions of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note we will perhaps not request you to think about publishing a video clip abstract until your paper happens to be accepted. Please do not try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are lots of tutorials online which could guide the creation of a video clip abstract, using commonly and frequently software that is freely available. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie will be the many examples that are common. Samples of video clip abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Here are a guidelines that are few making a video clip abstract. Writers might also wish to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for help.
- Video abstracts must not stay longer than 4 moments.
- This content while focusing for the video clip must connect directly to the scholarly study that’s been accepted for book, and really should maybe not stray beyond the information. We suggest itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content associated with the video clip must certanly be in a method plus in terms which is understandable and available to an over-all audience that is medical. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive audience that is medical and never utilize abbreviations.
- Writers frequently talk straight into the digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we encourage the utilization of other appropriate visual and sound product (such as for instance animations, videos, still photographs, figures, infographics). If you want to make use of product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the publisher that is relevant copyright owner.